ARAH Custom Exclusive Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontPageLatest imagesRegisterLog in
OSC Facebook Page
Latest topics
» Pythona Revival
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby gijoe071681 Thu 16 Mar 2017 - 16:05

» Nothing but tumbleweeds....
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Faust Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 13:37

» Dreadnok: Zanya
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Faust Thu 24 Jul 2014 - 10:15

» Update From Dave
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby martin-montreal Sun 8 Jun 2014 - 8:11

» Paint matching
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby cyko Sat 31 May 2014 - 23:33

» Dreadnok: Monkeywrench
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Stormavik Mon 5 May 2014 - 22:38

» Dreadnok: Road Pig
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Stormavik Sun 4 May 2014 - 17:39

» ****OSC CLUB MEMBERSHIP AND SUBSCRIPTION NOW OPEN!****
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby ReCoiL Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 11:39

» Step 1- Adding sprues
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Morgardee Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 10:52

» Dreadnok Siblings Zartan, Zandar and Zarana
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeby Stormavik Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 20:08

Gallery
So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Empty

So I'm reading the comics for the first time...

Go down 
+8
dantedmc37
cyko
remster_9
ska_lives
Dave
nerdsgetchicks
RAMBO
jaimanstone
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jaimanstone
Admin

PostSubject: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 23:39

...and loving it!

I think I'm on issue 36. Great stuff. Wish I would have known it existed back in the day, but I'm the oldest and comics were not around during GI JOE's run.

Any veterans out there?

Anyone reading them for the first time like me?
Back to top Go down
RAMBO

RAMBO

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jul 2011 - 23:59

I have to read them for the first time. I have to set a time apart for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46234368@N06/
nerdsgetchicks

nerdsgetchicks

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 0:19

I am also reading them again...The first Civil War is the best!!
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Dave

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 0:19

I am buying and rereading them, love the comics.
Back to top Go down
https://arah-old-school.forumotion.com
ska_lives

ska_lives

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 4:23

I almost to the end of the run, the older issues are by far the best...they just get a bit weird later on.
Back to top Go down
remster_9
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 4:49

ska_lives wrote:
I almost to the end of the run, the older issues are by far the best...they just get a bit weird later on.

I have to agree with you. I made it to issue #120 or so, and I totally lost my interest in it. The first 50 issues are definitely the best.
Back to top Go down
cyko
Admin
cyko

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 9:48

While I grew up watching the Sunbow cartoon, reading the comics gave me a greater understanding of certain character dynamics (if nothing other than Snake Eyes v Storm Shadow). So my mental concept of GIJoe is a mesh of the two. However, it's like the comic title continued longer than it should have. Somewhere shortly after issue #100, things get really flakey and Hama began recycling plots. I'm still reading the comics as they come out, but it's a bit like a car accident - you don't want to look but you can't turn away. After 20 years, Hama is recycling plots again and the art varies from fair to unrecognizable.

Edit: I meant to add that a lot of the Special Missions comics are fantastic! Dunno if it was the lack of stress from writing a one-off or what, but they often feature tidy plots and solid teams. Gained a bigger understanding of who Chuckles is, too.
Back to top Go down
dantedmc37
Admin
dantedmc37

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 11:18

Yeah the main series gets a little dull for a while but it picks up and gets great again, I love Andrew Wildman's run on the art near the end!

Last edited by dantedmc37 on Wed 6 Jul 2011 - 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dantedmc37
Admin
dantedmc37

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 11:29

I love Special Missions too. Check out Gi JOE European missions and Action Force Comics. They take the Joes you know and make them their own. Cool solo stories Destro SS, SE, etc, they make Footloose a British SAS bad ass, they use vehicle drivers a lot in the main cast (85'/86') Heavy Metal and Crank Case are major players. Tons of great stuff, I've incorporated a lot of it into my Joe world. It's a fresh an interesting take.
Back to top Go down
Tim 121RVC

Tim 121RVC

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 13:31

The comics weren't (commonly) available over here at that time, except for the special missions. I've got all of them, loved to read them as a kid.

Tim 121RVC
Back to top Go down
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 14:36

I had read some as a kid, but I really got into them a few years ago when Sidewinder ask me and my brother to help start the GI Joe Review Podcast

http://gijoereview.wordpress.com/

We have reviewed up to issue 58
Back to top Go down
DarkJedi

DarkJedi

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul 2011 - 14:45

I am more aware of the comics (started with #23 where the JOEs capture Cobra Commander in Switzerland) and then picked up a bagged 3-pack that had the raid on the Treasury Department.

Never really saw the cartoon, since I didn't get that channel out of NYC.

Have all the comics, and all of the Marvel ones on my computer.

Somewhere on joecustoms I have a list of all the characters, designs, and alternate uniforms that should have been produced. That might come in handy on here. Not sure if I can find it...
Back to top Go down
Charade

Charade

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul 2011 - 17:20

I've just finished re-reading the Marvel series for the second time a couple months ago. Those first 70 issues or so have some really great stories. IMO, the arc where Stalker and his team are captured in Borovia is one of the best storylines in comics. Loved the use of the ninjas in that one....one of Hama's last great ninja stories until the mythos got bogged down too much in mysticism and Arashikage mind tricks.

I love the tight storytelling of Special Missions. I think it's a very underappreciated title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm reading the comics for the first time...   So I'm reading the comics for the first time... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I'm reading the comics for the first time...
Page 1 of 1